20. What programs will be offered?
The Tianjin Juilliard School will offer a U.S.-accredited Master of Music (MM) degree with majors in orchestral studies, chamber music, and collaborative piano. These programs are unique to the Tianjin Juilliard branch campus and meet a growing need in the region for performing artists trained in collaborative musicianship.
21. Will I have weekly private lessons with a resident faculty member?
Students in the Master of Music degree program will have weekly private lessons with a teacher on their instrument. This private study will be supplemented by frequent coaching and opportunities to work with visiting faculty and guest artists.
22. How do the degree programs at The Juilliard School in New York differ from those in Tianjin?
The Juilliard School in New York offers degree programs in dance (BFA), drama (BFA and MFA), and music (BM, MM, DMA, GD, and AD). The Tianjin Juilliard School will initially offer a Master of Music degree with majors in orchestral studies, chamber music, and collaborative piano.
23. How are the degrees offered by The Tianjin Juilliard School accredited?
The Tianjin Juilliard School’s Graduate programs are accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, in line with the New York campus. The degrees are recognized by the Ministry of Education in China.
24. When can I apply for the master’s program?
Fall 2021 applications open September 1. Live auditions are held in Tianjin and New York City. For the 2020-2021 admission cycle, a combination of final audition recordings and Zoom interview will be accepted in lieu of a live audition for applicants who are unable to audition live at these locations.
25. How long will it take to complete a master’s program at The Tianjin Juilliard School?
The master’s program will require two years of full-time study.
26. What is the language of instructions for the Graduate Studies program?
Classes are taught in English. Applicants are required to submit proof of English language proficiency if English is not their native language.
27. What courses will be offered in Graduate Studies?
Course descriptions will be posted on the website each semester. Please continue to check this site for updates.
28. What are the requirements for applying to the Master of Music program?
Musicians who have completed a bachelor’s degree are eligible to apply to the MM program. Musicians are also eligible to apply for a second master’s degree at Tianjin Juilliard if their existing master’s degree is different from the one offered by our program. All instruction is in English, therefore proficiency in the English language is required. Students must complete an application and provide required supplemental materials, including a prescreening recording. The prescreening requirement will be waived for current Juilliard College students. Please continue to check the Admissions section for updates on application procedures and audition repertoire.
29. Will students in Tianjin be affiliated with The Juilliard School in New York?
Students who complete the master’s program in Tianjin will be alumni of The Juilliard School, with an accredited Juilliard degree.
30. If I attend The Tianjin Juilliard School, will I be able to transfer to The Juilliard School?
No, students may not transfer between Tianjin Juilliard and Juilliard in either direction. Tianjin Juilliard alumni are welcome to audition to attend Juilliard for a new program after completing the Master of Music at Tianjin Juilliard. If a student opts to exit Tianjin Juilliard before completion of her/his program to attend Juilliard, s/he would not be able to transfer completed Tianjin Juilliard credits.
31. Will I get priority for admission consideration for The Juilliard School in New York if I attend The Tianjin Juilliard School?
Juilliard’s audition process requires each applicant to undergo the same artistic assessment by faculty in order to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants.