The Graduate Studies application deadline for fall 2023 admissions was December 15, 2022. We are currently still accepting applications until our programs are full. If you are interested in applying to the Graduate Studies program for fall 2023, please contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com right away. Those who are approved to submit an application will receive communication from the Admissions Office to establish a reasonable timeline to submit the application along with all supporting materials.
The application is closed for the following:
- Instrumental and Orchestral Studies Clarinet
- Instrumental and Orchestral Studies Horn
- Instrumental and Orchestral Studies Tenor Trombone
- Instrumental and Orchestral Studies Bass Trombone
- Instrumental and Orchestral Studies Harp
Tianjin Juilliard seeks exceptionally talented and disciplined students who meet Juilliard's artistic standards. You should possess the maturity and generosity of spirit that is essential to ensemble work, a broad curiosity for the historical traditions and contemporary trends of music, and a clear dedication to artistic excellence and leadership.
View the Tianjin Juilliard Graduate Studies Brochure to learn more about our program!
- A bachelor's degree or its equivalent by the time you matriculate (generally including at least 24 credits in liberal arts subjects)
- Musical training at a high level
- English language proficiency that meets our outlined requirements
- Tianjin Juilliard offers master of music degrees in instrumental and orchestral studies, instrumental and chamber music, and collaborative piano. If you already have a master of music degree in one of these majors, you are not eligible to apply for that same major. However, you may apply for a different major. (For example, if you already have a master of music degree in chamber music as a violinist, you are eligible to apply to the major in instrumental and orchestral studies.)
- If you apply to this degree program and are denied admission, you can apply again in a future application cycle. After three unsuccessful attempts applying to the same major, you are no longer eligible to apply.
Please contact the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure about your eligibility.
2023 Application Timeline
*The Graduate Studies program is currently still accepting applications until enrollment is full. Contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com for more information about applying.
|Application Requirement||Received-by Deadline|
|Online Application||Extended Deadline*|
|Pre-screen Recordings||Extended Deadline*|
|Most Recent Official English Language Test Score*||Extended Deadline*|
|Unofficial Transcripts Received||
*Most Recent Official English Language Test Score: This test score must be delivered to us directly from the testing company but does not need to be passing: It will serve to indicate your most recent level of English language proficiency.
The following items are only required if you are invited to a live audition:
|Live Audition Requirement||Received-by Deadline|
|Recommendations Received||February 1, 2023|
|CSS Profile*||March 1, 2023|
|Final Official English Language Test Score**||March 1, 2023|
*In order to be considered for institutional aid, you must fill out The CSS Profile found on the College Board website. Only those who pass pre-screening will be required to complete the CSS Profile, which must be completed by March 1, 2023. Please see the Scholarship page for more information.
**Final Official English Language Test Score: This test score must be delivered to us directly from the testing company and should meet our test score standards.
To begin, create your Tianjin Juilliard admissions account, gather the required application materials, and follow the instructions to complete your application.
The 770 RMB* application fee is non-refundable and must be paid through your application status page upon submission of your application. Your application is not considered complete until the fee has been received.
*When paying with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or PayPal, the amount will be approximately $110 USD assuming an exchange rate of 7 RMB to $1 USD. The actual amount charged to your account may vary slightly due to fluctuations in the exchange rate.
Tianjin Juilliard's Admissions Committee uses your essays to learn more about you as an individual and gain a sense of who you are beyond your application, transcript, and audition. They are also used to confirm that you have the scholastic competence necessary to succeed in graduate-level coursework. Essays should be double-spaced, in a 12-point font such as Times Roman or Arial. Please note that essays must be written in English (not translated from another language) and be your own original work.
Essay #1 | Choose one of the following prompts:
- Many artists experience a moment that defines their career goals. Describe what that moment was for you. Be specific and tell us how that moment continues to influence your artistic and academic work.
- The Tianjin Juilliard School emphasizes collaborative and ensemble playing at the highest artistic level. Please describe what specifically attracts you to collaborating with other musicians. Please draw upon examples from your past collaborative experience.
Please write approximately 500-650 words for the prompt of your choice.
- What has inspired you to apply specifically to The Tianjin Juilliard School? Please include any relevant personal and professional context.
Please write approximately 300-400 words on this prompt.
Essay #3 | Required only for those who are not currently enrolled in an academic program:
- Please tell us about the period since you graduated from your last academic program. Please include any professional activities you have been engaged in since graduating.
Please write approximately 300-400 words on this prompt.
Your Artistic Résumé should follow a general résumé format. The résumé should be 1-2 pages, and include the following information:
- Your educational background (including private teachers with whom you have studied)
- Significant performance experiences
- Professional orchestra and ensemble experiences (include chair/seating)
- Summer programs/festivals (include year(s) of attendance)
- Competitions, prizes and awards
- Any other information you would like to share with the Admissions Committee
Transcripts are an important part of the decision process and help us determine if you are prepared to succeed in coursework at the graduate level. Transcripts for all post-secondary coursework, including all grades earned and courses in progress must be received by December 15, 2022. If you are currently enrolled in a program, this transcript should include your fall semester grades. The transcript may be an official copy sent directly by your institution. It can also be either a scanned copy of your transcript as provided to you by your school’s registrar or downloaded from your online student account. Please do not send screenshots. If you are choosing to upload scanned copies, they can be uploaded directly to your application status page after you submit your application. If your transcript is not in English, we require the transcript in its original language as well as a translation.
Final Official Transcript
If you are admitted and decide to enroll, you will then be required to submit final official transcripts from all previous undergraduate and graduate institutions you have attended. These final official transcripts will be due July 1, in the summer prior to matriculation. Matriculation to the MM degree program is contingent upon Tianjin Juilliard receiving your final official transcripts before the stated deadline. This final transcript must but sent to the Office of Admissions and must state the degree earned, the date it was awarded, and the list of courses taken and grades earned throughout the course of study. If your transcript is not in English, we require the transcript in its original language as well as a certified translation.
|Transcript Requirement||Received-by Deadline|
|Unofficial Transcripts Received||December 15, 2022|
|Final Official Transcripts Received||July 1, 2023|
Definition of an Official Transcript
An electronic record of your academic progress, including grades earned, sent by a secure service (such as Naviance, eSCRIP-SAFE, or other system). Scanned, emailed, or uploaded copies are not considered official.
- A paper record of your academic progress, including grades earned. Official transcripts must arrive in an envelope sealed and stamped by the issuing institution.
Final official transcripts should be mailed to the Tianjin Juilliard Office of Admissions. Mailing address for final transcripts will be provided on your admission letter.
Your official transcript(s) must show all prior and current coursework equivalent or similar to a U.S. bachelor's degree (generally including at least 24 credits in liberal arts subjects).
- If your transcript is not in English, we require the transcript in its original language as well as a certified translation
- You will be notified if an official evaluation of your transcript is required to verify your academic level. Companies such as SpanTran, WES, or ECE can provide this service for a fee
In your application you will be required to identify two individuals who will provide your recommendations. These recommendations should:
- Be from a teacher, conductor, coach, or artistic mentor
- Address your talent and accomplishments
- Discuss the following individual characteristics that indicate potential for success in the field: perseverance, dedication, collegiality, and leadership
The recommendations are due February 15, 2023. Your recommenders will receive an email with a link to securely upload their recommendations to our application system. We will only accept recommendations received through our application system.
Final auditions will take place in Tianjin and at select regional locations. Applicants unable to travel to a live audition location must contact the Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the circumstances and reasons they cannot audition live, and to request approval of an alternative audition modality.
To satisfy the musical requirements of an application to The Tianjin Juilliard School, you must:
- Submit pre-screening recordings to your application (all applicants)
- Audition live (invitation only)
Applicants who pass the pre-screening round will be invited to register for a final audition.
Learn more about auditions dates and locations
English Language Proficiency
You are required to submit proof of English language proficiency if English is not your native language. The Tianjin Juilliard School defines native language as the language first spoken as a child and the primary language spoken at home.
Demonstrating English Language Proficiency
The ability to speak, read, and understand English fluently is an important factor in admissions decisions.
Applicants may submit one of the following test types to demonstrate English language proficiency:
- Cambridge English
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and TOEFL ITP Plus
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearsons Language Test: Academic (PTE Academic)
|Test Score||Cambridge English||IELTS Academic & IELTS Indicator||TOEFL||TOEFL ITP Plus||PTE|
|Score required to enter the MM directly||C1||6.5||89||627||61|
|Score required to enter the MM with successful completion of Intensive English Foundation Program||NA||6.0||80||NA||56|
|Scores that fall within this range will be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis and does not guarantee admission to the MM*||NA||5.0||63||NA||46|
*Applicants whose score falls between 63-80 TOEFL / 5.0 – 6.0 IELTS / 46-56 PTE will be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis. This consideration will include an institutional English language proficiency exam conducted by the Tianjin Juilliard’s English Language Studies Department. We encourage you to apply if your score falls in this range, however, applicants with a score of 80 TOEFL / 6.0 IELTS / 56 PTE or above will be given preference for admission into the Master of Music degree program.
Please submit official electronic test scores by searching for “Tianjin Juilliard”
The official test results must be sent electronically directly from the testing company and received by the Office of Admissions at Tianjin Juilliard by the appropriate deadlines listed below. Please note that when requesting official test results from the testing company, you should search for “Tianjin Juilliard” in the school list for score delivery.
|English Language Proficiency Requirements||Received-by Deadline|
|Most Recent Official English Language Test Score*||December 15, 2022|
|Final Official English Language Test Score**||March 1, 2023|
*Most Recent Official English Language Test Score: This test score must be delivered to Tianjin Juilliard directly from the testing company but does not need to be passing: It will serve to indicate your most recent level of English language proficiency.
**Final Official English Language Test Score: This test score must be delivered to Tianjin Juilliard directly from the testing company and should meet our test score standards.
Exemption and Waiver
A. An exemption to provide a test score as proof of English language proficiency is granted automatically if the language of instruction at the applicant’s high school AND undergraduate school was English.
- Note that this exemption requires a TOTAL of EIGHT years of academic instruction in English: 4 years of high school + 4 years of bachelor’s degree study.
B. A waiver of the requirement to provide a test score as proof of English language proficiency may be granted at the school’s discretion if the following criteria are met:
- The applicant has earned (or will have earned by the time of matriculation) a FOUR-year undergraduate degree from a school where the language of instruction is English
- AND if the applicant submits two academic papers written in English, for review by our Director of ESL. The papers must have been written in the final year of the applicant’s current or most recent program of study. Each paper must be a minimum of 1200 words in length
- AND the applicant submits an unofficial transcript for review.
- To request consideration for a waiver, follow the instructions on the application form.
C. An interview is required of applicants whose test score requirement is waived.
Institutional Language Proficiency Assessment: Applicants who are invited to a live audition whose native language is not English will be scheduled for a required individual online English assessment interview with Tianjin Juilliard's English language office sometime within the January - February 2023 timeframe. The results of this interview will be considered alongside your standardized test results.
Intensive English Foundation Program (IEFP): Applicants with a score of between 80-89 TOEFL / 6.0-6.5 IETLS / 56-61 PTE are required to attend the online Intensive English Foundation Program offered by The Tianjin Juilliard School the summer prior to matriculation. Successful completion of this summer program will meet the English language proficiency entrance requirement for the Master of Music degree.
Applicants with a score lower than 80 TOEFL / 6.0 IELTS / 56 PTE will be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis. If admitted to the MM degree program, the Intensive English Foundational Program will be required in the summer prior to matriculation.
Please note that the results of your standardized English Language Proficiency test and the Institutional Language Proficiency Assessment mentioned above are used in conjunction to determine your ability to succeed at The Tianjin Juilliard School where all instruction is conducted in English. This means that it is possible for some students with official English Language Proficiency scores that are above the minimum threshold for direct matriculation to be placed in our Intensive English Foundation Program.
Currently Enrolled Juilliard Students
Currently enrolled students in the Juilliard Collegiate Division will be exempt from the requirements for pre-screening and proof of English language proficiency. Additionally, Juilliard students' application fee will be waived as long the application is submitted by the deadline.
Currently Enrolled Tianjin Conservatory of Music Graduate Students
Master's students enrolled in year 1 and year 2 at the Tianjin Conservatory of Music are eligible to apply to the Dual-Degree Program, a collaboration between The Tianjin Juilliard School and the Tianjin Conservatory of Music. This unique opportunity consists of study at Tianjin Conservatory and two years of study at Tianjin Juilliard. Students who successfully complete the program earn a Master's degree from The Juilliard School in New York and the Tianjin Conservatory of Music.
While enrolled at Tianjin Conservatory, students pay the tuition for Tianjin Conservatory. While enrolled at Tianjin Juilliard for the final two years, students pay the dual-degree tuition rate for Tianjin Juilliard. The dual-degree tuition for Tianjin Juilliard is 200,000 RMB per academic year. Scholarship opportunities exist from Tianjin Juilliard while enrolled for the two years at Tianjin Juilliard.
In order to apply, applicants should complete the online Tianjin Juilliard application, indicating that they are currently enrolled at Tianjin Conservatory and will be applying to the Dual-Degree Program. Applications must include a pre-screen video recording, uploaded to the application. The Admissions Office at Tianjin Juilliard will notify an applicant if they have been invited for a live audition. View complete audition requirements here. Admission decisions for the Dual-Degree program are made by the Tianjin Juilliard Admission Committee, which includes senior administration from Tianjin and New York.
Consultative lessons give you the opportunity to meet and work with Tianjin Juilliard faculty during the admissions process. Consultative lessons should be viewed as a way for you to learn about a teacher’s style and pedagogical approach; they are not mandatory, and do not influence admission.
The Tianjin Juilliard School offers consultative lessons based on faculty availability and other factors. Consultative lessons will generally take place on our new Tianjin campus. It may be possible to take an online lesson. The fee for a 60-minute lesson is 1800 RMB. To request a consultative lesson, please contact us at email@example.com for further details.
Applicants with Disabilities
The Tianjin Juilliard School seeks to facilitate the full participation of applicants with disabilities in the audition process. The School makes reasonable accommodations or adjustments for qualified individuals with known disabilities in compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).
The School will not make pre-admissions inquiries as to whether or not a student has a disability; however, applicants with documented disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to participate in the audition process must notify the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services (OASDS) in writing by December 15. Please notify the office by emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be required to submit documentation of your disability to OASDS; this information will be kept strictly confidential. You must complete the following forms in order for the school to accommodate your specific needs:
- Applicant Release of Disability Related Information Form
- Audition Accommodation Request Form
All documented disability requests will be managed by The Juilliard School in New York.