An official letter of request should be sent to the Artistic Director and Dean not later than January 15th of the school year preceding the requested leave. Normally, such leave will be for no more than one year, during which time the faculty member will not receive compensation from The Tianjin Juilliard School.
If the faculty member was benefits eligible and covered prior to going on leave, The Tianjin Juilliard School will maintain their coverages, at pre-absence levels.
1.1 Sick Leave
Faculty members who become ill after the start of a semester and provide medical documentation to verify their inability to teach, will be paid 80% of the remainder of their salary for that semester. The Tianjin Juilliard School may require the faculty member to attend a medical examination by a hospital designated by The Tianjin Juilliard School to further evaluate the faculty member’s health situation.
1.2 Childcare Leave
(1) Faculty members who are parents are entitled to ten (10) working days of paid childcare leave every year before faculty member’s child turns three (3).
(2) For multiple births, additional ten (10) working days will be granted for each additional child.
(3) The year cycle is calculated based on the actual age of the child. For example, if the child was born on Dec 1st 2021, the child will turn one (1) year old by Nov 30th 2022, during which time both parents are entitled to paid child care leave of 10 working days each.
(4) Childcare leave can be taken continuously or dispersed according to the actual situation of the faculty member’s family.
1.3 Compassionate Leave
(1) Faculty members are entitled to a paid compassion leave each year to take care of his/her hospitalized elderly parent who is over sixty (60) years old.
(2) If the faculty member is the only child in his/her family, the annual compassion leave is capped at twenty (20) days each year; if the faculty member is NOT the only child in his/her family, the annual compassion leave is capped at ten (10) days each year.
(3) Copy of the hospitalization records and diagnosis certificates issued by the hospital need to be filed when submitting the leave application.
(4) Compassion leave should be calculated by continuous calendar days, that is, weekends and statutory holidays are counted as leave days once the leave begins.
(5) Compassion leave can be taken continuously or dispersed according to the actual situation of the faculty member’s family.
1.4 Marriage Leave
Faculty members who register their marriage in accordance with the law are entitled to ten (10) working days of marriage leave as stipulated by law.
Faculty members should apply one week prior to taking the marriage leave and present a copy of his/her marriage certificate when submitting the application. Marriage leave must be used within one year after employee gets his/her marriage certificate; otherwise it will be deemed as waived. Marriage leave cannot be applied by separate times.
1.5 Maternity Leave
(1) Female faculty members are entitled to ninety-eight (98) continuous days of maternity leave, including fifteen (15) days before the childbirth. In the event of a difficult delivery and/or Cesarean section, the female employee is entitled to an additional fifteen (15) days. For multiple births, additional fifteen (15) days will be granted for the birth of each additional child. Additional sixty (60) days will be granted for childbirth that complies with law and regulations (if no more additional maternity leave can be granted, one month’s salary will be granted as benefit).
(2) Maternity leave should be calculated by continuous calendar days, that is, weekends and statutory holidays are counted as leave days once the leave begins.
(3) Female faculty members who qualify under maternity policies of China are entitled to paid maternity leave during the maternity leave in accordance with law.
1.6 Miscarriage leave
(1) Fifteen (15) days for miscarriage in the first twelve (12) weeks of pregnancy.
(2) Thirty (30) days for miscarriage during the twelve (12) to sixteen (16) weeks of pregnancy.
(3) Forty-two (42) days for miscarriage during the sixteen (16) to twenty-eight (28) weeks of pregnancy.
(4) Ninety-eight (98) days for miscarriage over twenty-eight (28) weeks of pregnancy.
(5) Applying for miscarriage leave should comply with relevant policies and regulations.
(6) Miscarriage leave should be calculated by continuous calendar days, that is, weekends and statutory holidays are counted as leave days once the leave begins.
1.7 Paternity Leave
(1) Male faculty members are entitled to fifteen (15) days of paternity leave.
(2) Paternity leave should be calculated by continuous calendar days, that is, weekends and statutory holidays are count as leave days once the leave begins.
1.8 Bereavement Leave
(1) Faculty members are entitled to three (3) working days off for bereavement leave on the occasion of the death of his/her parents, grandparents, spouse, children, sibling, spousal parents or spousal grandparents.
(2) Faculty members need to indicate their relationship of the deceased person when filing the request for bereavement leave.
Further information may be obtained from the Director of Human Resources.