About the Office
Services for Students with Disabilities
The Tianjin Juilliard School is committed to providing qualified students who have disabilities an opportunity to participate on an equal basis in the educational programs on both campuses. Tianjin Juilliard students should contact Juilliard’s Office of Academic Support and Disability Services (OASDS) to request information about possible disability-related support and accommodations. OASDS looks forward to welcoming you to the Tianjin Juilliard community, learning about your circumstances, and providing assistance with your education.
A student with a qualifying disability who seeks OASDS support must start that process with the Juilliard New York’s OASDS. For accommodations to be granted, a student has to provide any necessary information and documentation to OASDS for review and meet with a member of OASDS to complete the interactive process, which is essential for identifying accommodations that are responsive to the individual student’s needs. Once the registration, documentation, and review process is completed, OASDS will provide the student, where appropriate, with an individually determined accommodation plan and, where necessary, the Tianjin Juilliard Office of Academic and Student Affairs will communicate with Tianjin Juilliard faculty about the accommodations to be granted to a student. A student may not make individual accommodation arrangements with a faculty member without first utilizing the OASDS process. Please note that each semester, some adjustments to accommodations may be called for, and students will need to work with OASDS to review accommodations. A student with a disability who does not seek accommodations may inform OASDS of their situation but is not required to do so. OASDS staff members are always available to meet, answer questions or provide guidance.
Details of specific procedures and requirements are available from OASDS. Forms that need to be completed and information about your rights and responsibilities are also provided by OASDS. From time to time, Juilliard may change or modify these policies, procedures, and forms, and you should make an effort to stay current on any changes. However, Tianjin Juilliard’s commitment to its students and to their opportunity to participate equally at Tianjin Juilliard remains constant.
To begin the process for receiving services from Tianjin Juilliard, a student will submit the completed Juilliard Disability Accommodation Request Form and the Disability Authorization for Release of Information Form and meet with an OASDS representative. The student should also review the Confidentiality Policy and the Grievance Procedure to be informed of the student’s rights and responsibilities. To be considered for services, including accommodations, the student needs to submit any requested medical documentation and participate in the interactive process to determine an appropriate and reasonable accommodation, if one is necessary. Requests and documentation are to be submitted sufficiently in advance to permit an assessment and determination about accommodations for the start of a class or project. Allow at least 8 weeks to have an accommodation request decided.
The student agrees that by signing and submitting the Disability Accommodation Request Form, the Disability Authorization for Release of Information Form and related materials, they are affirming that the information they have provided is complete and accurate, and that they have read and understood the information being provided by OASDS about the institutional-wide policies and procedures.
Prospective students are welcome to contact the Director of the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services at any point during their college-selection process to receive information about services provided by the office, discuss the accommodation process or to discuss documentation requirements.
Current Tianjin Juilliard Students
Tianjin Juilliard will make reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities. If you are a student with a disability, you are encouraged to register with OASDS in order to establish eligibility for disability-related accommodations. Please note that this process is confidential. If you do not have documentation or have never been diagnosed, you can still contact OASDS and discuss your situation.
Dan Stokes CRC, Director of the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services
Registering with OASDS
How to Register with OASDS as a Student With a Disability
If you think you might benefit from support, we encourage you to register with OASDS by following these steps:
- Contact OASDS (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss your specific situation.
- We require two forms in order to determine eligibility for registration:
- Disability Accommodation Request Form
- Release of Disability Information Form
Depending on the nature of your disability, we may require a doctor’s note or other supporting documentation. Please note that we keep your information confidential.
- Once we have received all required documentation from you, we will discuss your accommodation requests. We will then engage in an interactive process with you to determine a personalized accommodation plan.
- If you are receiving academic accommodations, the Office of Academic and Student Affairs will communicate with your teachers so that they know what accommodations you will receive. Please note that your disability information will not be disclosed in communications with your teachers.
- If you are receiving any other accommodations, the Office of Academic and Student Affairs will follow up with the appropriate office(s) on your behalf.
If you do not have documentation or have never been diagnosed, you can still confer with OASDS and discuss your situation.
Registration is a voluntary process and may occur at any time during the student’s course of study. However, it is recommended that requests are made with enough time to be reasonably implemented. Accommodations will be implemented after approval by OASDS and are not retroactive to the beginning of the semester.
Students who wish to document a disability may include, but are not limited to:
- Students entering Tianjin Juilliard for the first time or returning after a leave of absence who have a known disability;
- Students experiencing educational difficulty who are referred by a faculty member or Tianjin Juilliard official for consultation regarding the possibility of disability; and
- Students whose health and/or physical abilities are altered during their educational tenure, resulting in a disability (permanent or temporary).
New Tianjin Juilliard students: We strongly encourage you to contact us before the beginning of the semester in order for your accommodations to be in place when the semester starts.
OASDS Forms and Policies
Disability Confidentiality Policy
Disability Grievance Policy
Disability Attendance Accommodation Policy
Disability Housing Policy
Service Animal Policy
Emotional Support Animal Policy
Recorded Lecture Policy and Procedure
Authorization for Release of Information
Extended Time on Coursework Policy
Information for Faculty
OASDS strives to be a resource for all Tianjin Juilliard faculty members to help ensure an accessible, equitable learning environment for our students. If you have any questions regarding the disability certification process, how to notify students of our services, how to best provide an accommodation for a student with a disability, or how to design more accessible courses by incorporating universal design principles, please visit Juilliard’s Information for Faculty page which provides detailed guidelines for how accommodations are handled on the New York campus. You are also welcome to contact OASDS directly.
Important Items for Tianjin Juilliard Faculty to Note:
- OASDS understands that not all accommodations will be applicable to all course contents. If you have specific questions about how to accommodate a student in the context of your course, please contact OASDS staff so we can work together to find the most applicable accommodation(s).
- OASDS staff are not able to disclose the type of disability that the student has registered for without written permission from the student due to privacy laws. However, we can discuss the student’s accommodations and work together to help you figure out how to implement their accommodations in your classroom.
- Students are required to self-identify for accommodations and must first register with OASDS in order to set up formal accommodations. Faculty are NOT required to provide any accommodations to a student until the faculty member has received a Reasonable Accommodation Plan Agreement from OASDS, which formally notifies them of the accommodations she or he is eligible for.
- If a student discloses a disability to you, it is imperative that you both inform the student that she or he needs to register first with the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services to seek formal accommodations AND contact Tianjin Juilliard’s Office of Academic and Student Affairs or OASDS to report that you have referred a student to OASDS!
- Faculty should NOT ask a student about the nature of her/his disability; rather, faculty should initiate a conversation about how to apply the accommodations stipulated in the student's Reasonable Accommodation Plan Agreement to a particular course’s content.
- Faculty should NEVER ask a student about her/his disability or accommodations in front of other students. This would be a violation of privacy of a student with a disability and is not appropriate.
The Tianjin Juilliard School strives for an environment that is accessible for all community members and visitors. For accessibility questions, requests, or general support, please contact the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services at email@example.com.
Accessible Entry: Street level entrance. Elevators located on every floor.
Restrooms: Accessible men’s and women’s restrooms are located on all floors.
Box Office: Tickets can be purchased from the online ticketing system and also from the Box Office in the lobby.
Accessible Seating: All venues have accessible seating location and can be booked through the online ticketing system.
Campus Housing: For housing-related accessibility questions and/or accommodation requests, please contact OASDS at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Tianjin Juilliard School strives to ensure the accessibility of its website for students, parents, and members of the community with disabilities to enable those individuals to: a) independently acquire the same information, engage in the same interactions, and enjoy the same benefits and services as those without disabilities, with substantially equivalent ease of use; and b) ensure that those individuals are not excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise subjected to discrimination in any Tianjin Juilliard programs, services, and activities delivered online.