To begin, create your Tianjin Juilliard admissions account, gather the required application materials, and follow the instructions to complete your application. Start your application now!
The 770 RMB* application fee is non-refundable and must be paid through your application status page upon submission of your application. Your application is not considered complete until the fee has been received.
*When paying with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or PayPal, the amount will be approximately $110 USD assuming an exchange rate of 7 RMB to $1 USD. The actual amount charged to your account may vary slightly due to fluctuations in the exchange rate.
Tianjin Juilliard's Admissions Committee uses your essays to learn more about you as an individual and gain a sense of who you are beyond your application, transcript, and audition. They are also used to confirm that you have the scholastic competence necessary to succeed in graduate-level coursework. Essays should be double-spaced, in a 12-point font such as Times Roman or Arial. Please note that essays should be written in English (not translated from another language) and be your own original work.
Essay #1 | Choose one of the following prompts:
- Many artists experience a moment that defines their career goals. Describe what that moment was for you. Be specific and tell us how that moment continues to influence your artistic and academic work.
- The Tianjin Juilliard School emphasizes collaborative and ensemble playing at the highest artistic level. Please describe what specifically attracts you to collaborating with other musicians. Please draw upon examples from your past collaborative experience.
Please write approximately 500-650 words for the prompt of your choice.
- What has inspired you to apply specifically to The Tianjin Juilliard School? Please include any relevant personal and professional context.
Please write approximately 300-400 words on this prompt.
Essay #3 | Required only for those who are not currently enrolled in an academic program:
- Please tell us about the period since you graduated from your last academic program. Please include any professional activities you have been engaged in since graduating.
Please write approximately 300-400 words on this prompt.
Your Artistic Résumé should follow a general résumé format. The résumé should be 1-2 pages, and include the following information:
- Your educational background (including private teachers with whom you have studied)
- Significant performance experiences
- Professional orchestra and ensemble experiences (include chair/seating)
- Summer programs/festivals (include year(s) of attendance)
- Competitions, prizes and awards
- Any other information you would like to share with the Admissions Committee
Transcripts are an important component of the decision process and help us determine if you are prepared to succeed in coursework at the graduate level. Transcripts for all post-secondary coursework, including all grades earned and courses in progress must be received by January 15, 2021. If you are currently enrolled in a program, this transcript should include your fall semester grades. The transcript may be an official copy sent directly by your institution. It can also be either a scanned copy of your transcript as provided to you by your school’s registrar or downloaded from your online student account. Please do not send screenshots. If you are choosing to upload the records, they can be uploaded directly to your application status page after you submit your application. If your transcript is not in English, we require the transcript in its original language as well as a translation.
Final Official Transcript
If you are admitted and decide to enroll, you will be required to submit final official transcripts by July 1, in the summer prior to matriculation. Matriculation to the MM degree program is contingent upon Tianjin Juilliard receiving your final official transcripts before the stated deadline. This final transcript must but sent to the Office of Admissions and must state the degree earned, the date it was awarded, and the list of courses taken and grades earned throughout the course of study. If your most recent degree is a Bachelor’s degree, please submit the official transcript for the Bachelor's degree. If your most recent degree is a Master’s degree, please submit the official transcript for the Master’s degree and unofficial transcripts for all other previous degrees earned. If the most recent program you’ve completed is a Graduate/Artist diploma or certificate, please also include an unofficial transcript for that program.
||January 15, 2021
|Final Official Transcripts Received by the Office of Admissions
||July 1, 2021
Definition of an Official Transcript
An electronic record of your academic progress, including grades earned, sent by a secure service (such as Naviance, eSCRIP-SAFE, or other system). Scanned, emailed, or uploaded copies are not considered official.
- A paper record of your academic progress, including grades earned. Official transcripts must arrive in an envelope sealed and stamped by the issuing institution.
Final official transcripts should be mailed to the Tianjin Juilliard Office of Admissions. Mailing address for final transcripts will be provided on your admission letter.
Your official transcript(s) must show all prior and current coursework equivalent or similar to a U.S. bachelor's degree (generally including at least 24 credits in liberal arts subjects).
- If your transcript is not in English, we require the transcript in its original language as well as a certified translation
- You will be notified if an official evaluation of your transcript is required to verify your academic level. Companies such as SpanTran, WES, or ECE can provide this service for a fee
In your application you will be required to identify two individuals who will provide your recommendations. These recommendations should:
- Be from a teacher, conductor, coach, or artistic mentor
- Address your talent and accomplishments
- Discuss the following individual characteristics that indicate potential for success in the field: perseverance, dedication, collegiality, and leadership
The recommendations are due February 15. Your recommenders will receive an email with a link to securely upload their recommendations to our application system. We will only accept recommendations received through our application system.